Recipe adapted from Ina Garten
Ingredients: (Servings 6)
- 2 pounds peeled and deveined shrimp
- 2/3 cup Hellmann’s mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup scallions (4 scallions)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup small-diced celery
- 2 tablespoons mined fresh tarragon leaves, with extra garnish
- 2 tablespoons Pernod liqueur
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice.
Place the shrimp in a large (8-inch-diameter x 5-inch-high) saucepan and add 8 cups of cold water, the Pernod, and 1 tablespoon salt. Turn the heat to medium high and cook he shrimp uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes, until just firm and pink. Drain in a colander.
Place half the shrimp in a large bowl. Cut the rest of the shrimp sideways through the back with a sharp paring knife and add them to the bowl as well. Allow to cool for 15 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice, 2 teaspoons salt, and mayonnaise, and combine.
Cover and chill for 2 hours, sprinkle with extra tarragon and salt, and taste for seasonings. Serve cold or at room temperature. Serve on a bed of lettuce leaves and squeeze lemon over the shrimp salad. Serve pita bread or assorted crackers, if desired.