- little neck clams or cherrystone clams
- crushed ice
- lemon wedge
- use a brush to scrub the clams under cold water to remove debris.
- shuck the clams using a mitt to hold them steady while inserting a small clam or oyster knife between the two halves of the shell. Work your way around the clam to separate the halves.
- use a small bowl to catch the juice from each clam
- cut away the muscles and throw the top shell away
- use the knife to detach the clam from the bottom shell completely and leave it in the shell.
- pour the clam juice from the small bowl onto the shucked clams
- place the clams in the crushed ice.
Serve with horseradish, cocktail sauce, mignonette sauce, hot sauce or Ponzu marinade.
Wine Pairing: Pinot Blanc, Pinot Gris, Muscadet, and Chenin Blanc