Time: 30 minutes
Shrimp contains natural gelatin. Therefore, they can be molded without falling apart or adding bread crumbs. You can make salmon burgers and add shrimps to help hold them together.
- 1 large clove garlic, peeled
- 1 dried of fresh chile, seeded, or more to taste
- 1 inch fresh ginger, more or less, chopped
- 1/4 cup shallot, green onion, or red onion
- 1/4 cup yellow or red bell pepper
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- canola or grapeseed oil as needed
- toasted buns (optional)
- lime wedges for serving
- carrots, shallots, and bean sprouts for garnish (optional)
- Heat broil or grill until moderately hot and put the rack about 4 inches from the heat source. For pan-cooking, wait until burgers are form to proceed.)
- Combine chile, garlic and one third of the shrimp in a food processor and process to purée, stop the machine to scrap down the sides as needed. Add remaining shrimp with shallot/green onion , salt and pepper, and the cilantro and pulse as many times as it takes to chop the shrimp, but not too finely. Shape the mixture into 4 burger-like patties.
- Lightly brush oil on the patties and grill. If pan-cooking on the stovetop add oil to the pan and place burgers in the pan when it’s hot. Cook until a dark crust appears on the bottom, about 5 minutes. Turn and cook until opaque throughout, 5 minutes on the other side.