On Cinco De Mayo people look to enjoy traditional foods and drink, like cerveza (beer), margaritas, avocado (which is overpriced this week because of a shortage) and tacos. However, as a pescatarian my taco choices have been limited to fish and shrimp, until now. Fish tacos came from Baja California and were made from whatever fresh fish was pulled out from-the Pacific Ocean or Sea of Cortez.
I decided that since I shared my recipe on octopus salad; why not try octopus tacos. Remember octopus is healthy. It is a lean protein source which is high in iron. So why not give it a try.
Pictured above are a variety of ways to enjoy octopus tacos. The ingredients and preparation (grilled or sautééd) add variety to your meal. I prefer mine grilled after marinating the fish for at least 4 hours.
- 6-8 oz. chopped (already cleaned) fresh octopus or frozen (find it in the frozen-seafood case), thawed
- 1 tbsp. avocado oil or vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 4 tortillas (6-inch diameter)
- Chopped fresh cilantro
For the mango salsa:
- 1/2 cup red onion
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/2 cup seedless cucumber, chopped
- 2 mangoes, flesh cut into cubes
- Handful fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
- Pinch of sea salt
For pico de gallo:
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 springs of fresh cilantro
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Garnish: (Your Preference)
- fresh tomatoes
- beans, pinto, garbanzo, or black
- roasted chili slices
- onions, finely dices
- Place chopped octopus in a large pot of water and bring to boil. Reduce heat, simmer 20 minutes , and drain. To grill remove octopus from hot water rinse and dry with paper towel.
- Preheat pan on stove-top at medium-high drizzle olive oil and place in octopus in pan. Add in lemon juice and cilantro and remove from pan after evenly browned.
- Meanwhile, combine salsa ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir thoroughly.
- Divide octopus and salsa among warm tortillas, garnish with cilantro, and serve.