I made crab mac and cheese for the first time and it was better than any other I have tasted, home made by friends or served in a restaurant. In Maryland crab plus anything works; crab dip, crab balls, crab cakes and crab mac & cheese. It was very simple. I used Trader Joe’s Crab Meat displayed in the above packaging. It was just as it described; nothing but crab meat. I was impressed. Since it’s nothing added I was able to add my own spices to my taste. I removed the crab out of the freezer and submerged in a bowl of cold water as instructed. In 7 minutes it was thawed. Trader Joe’s was all it promised and I will definitely buy it again.
- 2 packets of Trader Joe’s Wild Caught Crab meat
- Old Bay Seasoning
- Cayenne Pepper
- Black pepper
- Garlic powder
- Red sweet pepper (minced)
- White onion (minced)
- 1/4 teaspoon brown mustard
- 1 1/2 tablespoon mayonnaise
Mac & Cheese
- Assorted Cheeses (shredded) (I used extra-sharp cheddar, parmesan, Dubliner natural cheese)
- 1 box elbow macaroni
- 1/2 stick butter
- Red sweet peppers
- Black pepper
- bread crumbs
- Evaporated milk
- 1 egg
- Heat water and add a pinch of salt and a little oil in a large pot to medium – high heat. Once water boils, add in elbow macaroni. Boil as per instructions on the box.
- While noodles are cooking mix the crab thoroughly while adding the above ingredients
- Preheat the oven at 350 degrees
- Drain noodles once at preferred consistency
- Add in the sweet peppers, butter, and some of the cheese. Stir and continue to add the rest of the above-listed ingredients, except the egg & milk, including the crab mixture.
- Taste the mixture which is safe as the crab is fully cooked to ensure the spices are to your liking. Once satisfied add the egg and milk. Stir thoroughly continually adding cheese. We love cheesy mac & cheese so I add a lot of cheese. Top the with cheese, paprika, bread crumbs and parsley.
- Cover and bake from 20 – 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve with your favorite veggie.